Oil water separation, oil skimming and wastewater flow regulation - all in one solution.
Many industrial and commercial operations that generate wastewater face three key issues:
- Allow oil and water the proper time to separate in order to recover the oil
- Determine most efficient method to remove oil from the surface of wastewater prior to further treatment or discharge
- Address varying flow rates of wastewater for maximum efficiency of further treatment or ultrafiltration
At first glance, separation, oil skimming and wastewater flow regulation requirements seem to call for different, independent solutions. But there is an all-in-one solution– the Skim 1st Tank. Skim 1st is a versatile, tube-type oil skimmer that has been combined with a tank to conveniently solve the problems of oil removal and varying flow rates.
How a Skim 1st Tank Helps Manage Wastewater
Wastewater treatment systems – including evaporators and ultrafiltration – are designed to accommodate specific flow rates. That design is perfect when water usage is consistent in volume or frequency, day after day. But if you are producing wastewater in batches or at intervals over time, you need flexibility. Why invest in a treatment system that accommodates your highest wastewater volume when it’s only happening intermittently?
The Skim 1st Tank offers flexibility and efficiency. Installing this skimmer/tank combo upstream from your treatment process improves the quality of the water AND allows you to regulate flow rate to match your need, as well as the specifications of your treatment system. Add an optional electronic flow controller and a pump, and the Skim 1st Tank acts as a hold or a surge tank with a built-in oil skimmer.
Sumps, pits and tanks are where oil skimmers usually live. But what if your situation does not accommodate one of these holding areas? A stand-alone Skim 1st Tank is the answer.
Maybe your wastewater process requires a settling tank to separate oil and other contaminants from wastewater or process water. A Skim 1st Tank can serve that purpose. Once the oil has been skimmed away, you can discharge the wastewater at the flow rate that makes sense for your operation.
Sometimes no elaborate wastewater treatment is needed. For instance, you can use the Skim 1st Tank for facilities maintenance activities, such as holding mopped water, water collected by industrial floor scrubbers or wash down water, such as in food preparation.
Any situation that generates oily wastewater sporadically can benefit from a Skim 1st Tank.
How a Skim 1st Tank Helps Reduce Plant Costs
- Wastewater treatment: A wastewater treatment system is a significant investment for any company. The Skim 1st Tank can help maximize that investment. Skim 1st will help extend the system’s life by capturing free oil and debris before it has a chance to wreak havoc on expensive chemicals, evaporators, filters or pumps.
- With Oil Skimmers, Inc. tube-type oil skimmer working away unattended and continuously, maintenance and manpower costs are reduced. At the same time, the quality and quantity of wastewater is more acceptable to municipal treatment plants. The Skim 1st Tank allows you to hold, then discharge wastewater at rates that won't overwhelm your treatment system or trigger higher municipal treatment bills.
- Water usage: In many industries, water and wastewater represent a huge share of operating expenses. In commercial, hospitality, healthcare and institutional laundry operations, for example, the water costs can be half total expenditures.*
Skim 1st, because it can act as a holding or surge tank, helps better manage water and wastewater discharge.
- Plant efficiency: Installing Skim 1st Tanks in metals and plating shops extends the life of lubricants and solvents that are cycled back through the fabrication or finishing process. Say goodbye to residue and corrosion on tooling and hello to reduced chemical additive costs.
- Reclaimed Oil:
In certain industries, quality reclaimed oil is a benefit of skimming that can give you a fast return on your Skim 1st investment, as well as offset some of your operational costs. OSI can custom build a tank with two chambers – a skim section to contain removed oil and a discharge section to hold the wastewater.
Skim 1st Tank can benefit these and more operations:
- Heat treating
- Parts washing
- Injection molding
- Pressure washing
- Storm water runoff
- Packaging operations
- Commercial laundries
- Truck, train, heavy equipment yards
Build a Skim 1st Tank System to Suit Your Application
An Oil Skimmers Inc. representative can help you assess your needs and customize a Skim 1st Tank that suits your application. Skim 1st can be configured and installed wherever and however you need it – indoors or out, on the ground or mounted on a raised stand, with optional accessories added up front or down the line.